Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I Love to Snope...

This morning while I was avoiding, stalling, mentally preparing myself for the day at work, I ended up on snopes.com page.  I haven't been there in a while.  I forgot how much I enjoy reading it.  I love to jump on the cause bandwagon, but I have made it a habit to check out the cause on snopes before committing as I have been burned before.

Today I read through a few things I hadn't seen before, including a letter (that was true WOOHOO) from a man overseas chiding the British for their anti-American attitudes after 9/11/01.  That can be found HERE.  While I realized that there was a lot of negativity towards Americans all over the world, back then and still today, I hadn't realized that England was one of the more vocal in their dislike.  I have never been there and really do not talk to anyone from that country, and my only experience is that my parents were stationed there when my older biological brother was born.  I distinctly remember seeing the footage from all over the world SUPPORTING the US after September 11 (and took great comfort in it if I am honest about it), so hearing that it wasn't all true was a little disappointing.  While I was a little hurt by the opinion that the US deserved what happened, it was heartwarming to read this man's words defending our country, and being very point blank in the fact that we are the strongest country in the world and could have really kicked ass and the fact that we restrained ourselves as much as we did was praiseworthy. 

Another story that had me laughing this morning was a Harry Potter article.  I remember when the first books came out.  I didn't read them.  I wasn't interested in them...at all.  It wasn't that I thought they were full of witchcraft and satanic stuff; I just wasn't interested in my college years in a children's book when I had enough mandatory reading to do for my classes.  And the Left Behind series was calling my name back then as well.

A year or two later I remember reading an article where a religious group tried to condemn the Harry Potter books as evil.  Well, little miss oppositional defiant's ears perked right up at that and the books quickly moved to the top of my reading list, which fortunately happened after I completed my Master's degree.  After reading the books and becoming obsessed with them a fan of them, every time I heard an in-law or someone at church start spewing about how bad they were I told them to read them before they judged and rolled my eyes.  I happened to scroll across THIS ARTICLE this morning on my, er morning wake up time, and found it hysterical that the entire argument all those years ago started from an article from The Onion, a website who's purpose is to mock and distort the news.  And people bought it.  HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Now, on to work...eventually.





No comments:

Post a Comment